Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving.....Korea Style

Joe and I didn't actually celebrate Thanksgiving on, Thursday. We had to work until 7 and I knew that it would take too long to throw a make-shift Thanksgiving dinner together before bed time. Originally I had planned on making some potato/corn chowder on Thursday, then put something nice together on Saturday, when I would have more time.

Thanksgiving started out lovely. Joe woke up and ran to a local flower shop. I had been admiring the Christmas Cactus they had for sale for a few weeks now. He must have put it in his memory bank because when I got out of the shower Thursday morning, Joe was no where to be found. About 15 minuted later he walks into the apartment with a beautiful Christmas Cactus!
 Great surprise to start my day!

Isn't she a beaut?


Then the work day started. For whatever reason it was a hell of a day at work. Don't know if it was because it has been term test week or if the end of the week was getting to us or if the reality of it being Thanksgiving hit us or what but we were DONE by the end of the work day. We took Eddie for his evening walk and made our way to our favorite cheep pizza joint, Pizza School. Two, $5 pizzas, to-go was our Thanksgiving day feast. Well and a few adult beverages. As weird as it sounds it was the perfect meal. Easy, no cooking or clean-up.

Friday, Joe and I got to go on a field trip with out Kindergartners....more on that later, I promise.

Saturday morning I got my hair cut! More on that later too... pinkie swear.

Then Saturday evening we celebrated Thanksgiving.

I had a few Korean friends ask me why we didn't celebrate with the other foreigners (there were a ton of events around Seoul for foreigners to get together for a Thanksgiving buffet/dinner) or why we didn't celebrate on Thursday like we were "supposed to". It was easy for me to respond. It is not the food, nor the day that is important to us. It's the idea. Spending quality time with the people that you love, taking a moment to count your blessings. Being away from family and friends is tough during the holidays and it is important to both of us that we take the time and celebrate. More importantly it is important that we take the time to spend quality time together. Undivided, focused time on each other.  Someday Joe and I will look back on how simple our lives where when it was just the two of us and be thankful that we had the quiet, quality time and the simplicity.

Now back to our little celebration....
It is no secret that I do the cooking at our house. It was never discussed but I was under the impression that I would throw dinner together.

This was my meal plan:
  • Chicken Cordon Bleu
  •  Bacon wrapped green beans
  •  Mashed potatoes
  •  Orange Jello salad-(thank you M and D for sending all of the fixings!)
  •  Gravy 
  • Rolls
  • Wine......some days it is a food group :)
I began by turning on some Christmas music and getting everything organized in our pocket sized kitchen. I was planning out what dish to start when so that everything would be done at about the same time. After I began to cook, I was pleasantly surprised when Joe joined me in the kitchen.

He helped me get everything for the chicken prepped and ready, then he made the potatoes and Jello salad. I loved sharing the cooking responsibilities, and it's always fun to have company in the kitchen.

He wanted to make sure all of the marshmallows were evenly spaced on top of the Jello...

Cookin up a storm1
Yes, I am wearing a Christmas sweater...

ohh....chicken is done!

Dinner turned out delicious!




To follow tradition we both shared what we were most thankful for.
We were both equally thankful for each other and Eddie. Our jobs, that we love. The opportunity to spend more time abroad. Duck football. Skype. Our supportive family and friends!


Happy Thanksgiving from 37° N, 127°E.

1 comment: